The Club was originally founded as Sherborne Golf Club in February 1894, using a 9 hole course near Sandford Road and by March that year had 42 members. At the end of 1895 the club changed its name to the Blackmore Vale Golf Club.
At the end of 1896 the club moved to Clatcombe Farm, where it stayed for 4 years before moving again to Lenthay Common for a decade, before practically retracing their steps to the current site north of Clatcombe Lane.

At this time the club dropped the Blackmore Vale name, became again the Sherborne Golf Club and played on 9 holes on the site of the existing course on the northern (clubhouse) side of Clatcombe Lane and an adjoining field to the East.
The Club suffered during the Great War, the course was closed in May 1917 while the Club continued to rent the land, offsetting the rental cost by sub-letting the land for sheep pasture. In 1918 the War Agricultural Committee requisitioned part of the course for cultivation to grow crops for the war effort. The course opened again early 1919 and by autumn that year competitions were again being played.

The club remained as 9 holes until 1936 when the famous open champion and course architect James Braid designed 10 new holes on land south of the lane and totally redesigned the old nine holes to become eight of an entirely different character. This development of the course was funded by £50 debentures sold to the members, see picture.

Now the Club had a high quality 18 hole course and was ready to enter the Premier League of County golf. But the war intervened. For the WW2 years the Club reverted to 9 holes north of Clatcombe Lane and much of James Braid’s work was lost to agriculture. After the war the club continued as 9 holes for some time, with a further setback being the loss of the Clubhouse and many of the club’s records in a disastrous fire in 1955.Preliminary work to bring back the lost 9 holes began in 1959. 
As the club had no money for the project, each committee member was allocated a green and with the help of volunteers using their own tools, and the help of the local Youth Club clearing stones from fairways, the lost holes were gradually brought back into play over a period of 5 years. To celebrate the return of the 18 hole course in 1964, there was an exhibition match between Peter Alliss, John Jacobs, Bernard Hunt and Dai Rees.
Over the remainder of the 20th century there were some small changes to the second, third, tenth and fourteenth holes and improvements to the Clubhouse.In 2000 parts of the course were remodelled and lengthened, extending the course into the practice ground, building five new holes, reusing two of the existing greens and building a new practice ground that is second to none in Dorset. 
The Club continues to maintain two of the greens from the holes that were lost, for use as high quality winter or alternative course greens when the need arises.Recent improvements include new 6th, 8th and 11th men’s back tees, moving the men’s 13th tees to reflect the original Braid design and extensive landscaping work to improve the appearance and definition of the second, third and fourth holes, with many positive comments about the improvements.

Course Status
Currently closed
11.01.2021 11:23
View Status
In line with Government guidelines, the Course is now closed together with the Pro Shop, Clubhouse and practice facilities.
  • Winter Offer Groups & Society Bookings (8+)
  • Winter 4 Ball Offer with Breakfast Roll & Coffee
Loading the Calendar...